Director of Engineering at Dealer InspireApply Now
This position can be remote, but US based candidates only.
Dealer Inspire is an automotive website platform provider located in Naperville, Illinois. We pride ourselves in having a fun, unconventional working environment and a great culture. While our team works extremely hard, we try to keep it a fun and creative work environment. At Dealer Inspire, we like to look at current problems and ‘rethink’ about solutions. We’re flexible – we don’t write requirements in stone, and things can change regularly. This means rethinking how solutions work best.
Want to learn more about who we are? Check us out here!
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to lead development for on METAL, our brand-new Inventory Management System. A successful candidate will have an active-oriented mindset and a focus on exceeding expectations, who operates with vision and integrity. Directors of Engineering can expect to play an active role in the development and completion of projects, meet and report back to upper management, plan and monitor work schedules, and work with multiple and diverse teams. Some of their responsibilities also include aligning engineering activities and projects with company goals and objectives, providing expert guidance and support, approving newly-developed policies from various departments, and maintaining positive relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To be successful as a Director of Engineering, you should have exceptional leadership, communication and project management skills, years’ of management experience, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others. Ideal candidates will have experience in identifying and navigating organizational changes, a keen interest in trends in engineering and leadership, and an above average emotional intelligence.
METAL is DI’s brand-new Inventory Management System (IMS) and is built with modern design plus lightning-quick controls to help our clients move metal faster than the competition – without any training needed. Designed mobile and tablet-first, METAL allows car dealers to quickly and easily manipulate their vehicle inventory, and have those changes appear on their Dealer Inspire website in real-time with API synchronization. From easy-to-implement pricing rules to the ability to upload hi-res inventory pictures, METAL offers a full-suite of features that modernize inventory management.
Skills & Requirements:
Essential Responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Architecture and development of new features.
- Set and enforce code quality standards and test coverage.
- Function as “project owner” for some new or existing projects, managing initial requirements, feature requests, and long term support.
- Leadership and mentoring of junior developers.
- Supporting established organizational objectives by developing goals and strategies.
- 3+ years experience with front-end technologies such as React, Redux, and Webpack.
- Mastery of HTML and CSS/SASS/Styled Components
- 3+ years experience working with NodeJS
- Experience with NodeJS frameworks like Express
- 3+ years experience working with MySQL or any NoSQL database; the ability to write efficient queries and benchmark/profile them
- Strong understanding of asynchronous programming
- Understanding of local development environments and integration of varying components.
- Experience with performance debugging and benchmarking
- Git version control
- Experience with testing frameworks like karma, mocha, or jest
- Strong attention to design detail. Matching markup/layout with mockups, and making them better. Knowing when things are off (even by a couple pixels) – and knowing why that impacts the experience negatively.
- Strong communication skills.
- Experience working remotely
- Familiar with functional programming
- Performance debugging and benchmarking
- High sensibility to UI design and UX
Compensation based upon skill and previous experience. Motivated and talented individuals may advance quickly in our fast growing company.
- Health Insurance with BCBS, Delta Dental (Orthodontics coverage available), Eye Med Vision
- 401k plan with company match
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 13 days paid time off, parental leave, and selected paid holidays
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Subsidized internet access for your home
- Peer to Peer Bonus program
*Not a complete, detailed list. Benefits have terms and requirements before employees are eligible.