Frontend Engineer at ShorthandApply Now
Shorthand is a growing company that provides a digital publishing platform to many of the world’s best known publishers, brands, not-for-profits, and universities. With customers on every continent (except Antarctica!), there’s never been a more exciting time to join Shorthand. Our company has the rare distinction in this era of money-burning startups of being both investor-backed and comfortably profitable.
To deliver our magic to customers and their audiences we need to do clever things inside web browsers. We’re often touching the edges of what’s possible inside a web browser. Not just one web browser, but all of the commonly used web browsers on desktops, phones and tablets. Our customers are diverse, meaning every month millions of their readers execute our story code from almost every country. That’s really hard, and we need more experienced web developers to help us do it. We call these developers “story devs” because they write the code that make Shorthand stories magical.
We tend to do things a little differently at Shorthand. For one thing, we’re a small team distributed around the world. We’ll happily take applications from anywhere on the planet but with a few conditions: 1) must be fluent in English 2) can be online from 9am-12noon Brisbane time to collaborate with the team.
This story dev role reports to the Lead Software Engineer, and you will work closely with the designers, engineers and product managers responsible for delivering our product.
We are looking for someone who:
- Can make beautiful things happen inside web browsers.
- Has an extremely high bar for quality.
- Is thorough and detail-oriented.
- Can learn fast.
- Has great communication skills, particularly with respect to writing.
- Gains deep satisfaction from helping to make products better.
- Is able to triage a competing set of priorities to obtain an optimal outcome.
- Has experience of working in a small business or startup environment.
- Preferably has experience collaborating with diverse, geographically-dispersed teams.
- Write the frontend code that goes into Shorthand stories.
- Fix any existing bugs in the story code.
- Contribute to the technical direction of the Shorthand tool.
- Report bugs.
- Communicate with the customer support team and customers to suggest temporary solutions to issues.
- Assist in the creation of product documentation when required.
- A minimum 3 years of experience in a Frontend Web Developer role.
- A university qualification in computer science is well regarded but not required.
- You are a proactive self-starter, who does not need to be told what to do and will be resourceful in order to find solutions to any challenge.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and demanding environment, and possess a high level of intellectual curiosity.
- You are collaborative.
- You love nothing more than making magic happen on the web.