Senior Front-End Engineer at Gatsby
Note: This posting is over 30 days old and may no longer be accepting applicants. Check out some more recent jobs instead!
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps professional developers build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Remote (preference for UTC-8 to UTC-4)
- Engineering Level: 4 (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Gatsby is a complex, growing product including an open source framework and cloud-based software as a service. We’re looking for talented engineers with experience building rich user experiences with React. You’ll help lead the improvement of our application and website’s user experience and the development of new, next-generation experiences.
Why this is interesting
Gatsby is shaping the future of the web by focusing on providing a great development experience for developers while providing tools for content marketers to be more successful. A Front End engineer at Gatsby helps determine how Gatsby and our products are shown to the world. Gatsby Front End Engineers work on various projects such as Gatsbyjs.com, Gatsby starters, Gatsby Cloud, and Gatsby Preview.
- Collaborate closely with Product, Design, and other engineers. You’ll play an integral role in our cross-functional team to help define the work and develop solutions for professional web developers.
- Work with other Engineers to connect Frontend and Backend components You’ll collaborate with team members, including opportunities for team pairing sessions along with synchronous/asynchronous communication.
- Build examples and demos while contributing to user documentation. These materials will be used internally to educate other teams on our progress as well as externally to help onboard customers to our new product offerings.
- Interact with customers. You’ll have the opportunity to support Gatsby customers and the broader open source community.
- Utilize and contribute to shared front-end component libraries. You’ll be responsible for helping improve team efficiency by building upon component libraries that are shared across the entire engineering organization.
- Expertise with modern React. You will need experience and familiarity with current and future React APIs and capabilities, including hooks and concurrent mode
- Strong command of HTML, CSS, and core web technologies. You will write code and examples that demonstrate best practices for performance, accessibility, and styling.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You demonstrate the ability to explain complex technical concepts in an accessible way, interacting with coworkers and community members.
- Willingness to ask and answer questions. Pairing with and assisting coworkers as well as community members.
- Comfortable talking to customers. You will work closely with Product, Design, and Customers to help influence the product decisions the team makes
- Experience with relevant frontend libraries and other technologies, such as Emotion, Typescript, Google Analytics, and Remark
- Experience supporting and improving a component based design system
- Background working for a product company as part of a team with a history of shipping quality products
- Experience maintaining or contributing to an open source project
- Empathy for the user and experience building universally accessible Web experiences
The best parts of this job
- You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on one of the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market, building a feature-rich content preview experience
- You’ll work closely with a small product team consisting of engineers, a designer, and a product manager working to solve new and interesting problems.
- You’ll be part of an active, open, friendly community of developers that are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
- You’ll be working in a safe, open environment of talented engineers who have a broad range of experience.
- Your role will be key to making Gatsby the next way to build on the web — and a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
The worst parts of this job
- You will be part of the entire product development process from initial scoping, to release and ongoing support. This position requires building new features and supporting existing customers and community members. Striking the correct balance between feature work and support can be challenging.
- We are a small, nimble team working at a start-up. Things are constantly evolving and we often change quickly in response to broader organizational needs.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (once it’s safe again!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Want to apply?
This posting is over 30 days old and may no longer be accepting applicants. Check out some more recent jobs instead!