Senior Frontend Engineer at DuckDuckGoApply Now
We are a diverse team from around the world on a mission to make DuckDuckGo the company people trust most with their online privacy, and we want your help!
Join us as a Senior Frontend Engineer and help shape the DuckDuckGo user experience across all of our products.
As part of our growing Frontend Team, you will collaborate with team members at all levels to identify and execute on improvements in our existing products and contribute to the development of new products that further DuckDuckGo’s mission. Examples of projects you might work on include: expanding and improving content blocking within our extensions, running experiments to measure and improve the usability of the search engine, and taking ownership of product verticals (e.g. local search) on the main Search Results page.
We are a remote company, we empower our team to work wherever they want around the world. That means you have to be self-directed and self-motivated to succeed. If that seems awesome and you like the idea of our core values — Build trust, Question assumptions, and Validate direction — you’ll fit right in.
What you will do:
- Lead projects from proposal through postmortem, assessing vague problems, proposing high impact solutions, and executing them against a set of success criteria.
- Contribute to and demonstrate ownership over major features of the SERP and/or Extension, taking responsibility for their maintenance and improvement over time.
- Step up to resolve product issues – large and small.
- Play a key role in improving our software architecture (in both our user-facing products, and internal processes) with the goal of increasing quality and throughput.
- Mentor peers through remote collaboration opportunities, including: product brainstorms, technical design discussions, pair programming sessions and code reviews.
- Write pragmatic, testable code that works consistently across devices.
What we are looking for:
- Experience working on at least one large frontend application.
- Experience working with a variety of architectural design patterns on the frontend.
- Effective project management skills.
- Creative problem solvers and risk takers. You like to take initiative to push projects forward but know when to involve others.
- Excellent communication skills. You can validate your decisions and communicate them clearly.
Other things to know:
- While we leverage specific job titles for hiring purposes, we do not use them internally. Instead, we follow our own professional levels, with expectations for each level clearly defined across several dimensions.
- We are a small, remote team in different time zones and communicate with a variety of tools throughout the day. You should feel comfortable with the intricacies of this type of work situation.
- Sometimes we meet up! You can expect to travel at least 2x a year: once for our all-hands meetup and another for a team retreat (each ~4-5 days).
- We want to have a major impact on raising the standard of trust online. To do this we believe in a focused approach, with company-wide objectives, and with each team member working on a single top priority at a time.
- Our work philosophy is built upon empowered project management. All team members have opportunities to run projects.
- All projects are run transparently, and we encourage everyone to participate in areas of interest throughout the company. Anyone and everyone can (and should) ask questions and offer feedback around the product and internal projects.
- We try to exemplify our values (build trust, question assumptions, and validate direction) in everything we do.
- While this is a full-time job, we offer a flexible work arrangement with no core hours and expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- We support professional development of our team members through career advisory and a learning stipend, reinforcing our culture of growth and skill-building.
DuckDuckGo does not work with any recruiting agencies or services. A big part of our culture is to work with each candidate on a one-to-one basis throughout our unique hiring process.
DuckDuckGo provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you think you might thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Use the application to apply!