Senior Frontend Engineer at Impala
Thanks for taking a look at the job description for Senior Frontend Engineer at Impala. We felt a little bit impersonal just throwing you right in there with words like “revolutionizing” and “disrupting”.
As such, we want you to know that the person that wrote this job description apologises in advance for any clichés, tropes or sudden-insecurity-driven-panic-attacks that you might find in the description below.
What Is Impala Now?
Impala makes building travel software incredibly easy. We provide hotels with a powerful data management platform that makes connecting to software, hardware and room distributors extremely easy. Think Twilio for Travel.
We launched in January 2019 and since then have grown at – quite frankly – a ridiculous old clip. Our technology is already installed in hundreds of hotels worldwide, on six continents and categorises more than 1 billion data points.
We are a team 14 exceptional people split across engineering, product and commercial that have built a fantastic community.
Where Is Impala Going?
We’re supported by some of the best investors in the business, the early stage backers behind Deliveroo, PillPack, SecretEscapes, Zoopla, Trivago and more. They’re on board because of our vision – revolutionizing a $1.6 trillion dollar market that’s been out-of-date for 20 years.
Within the next two years, 25% of hotel bookings worldwide will flow through Impala technology and the product that we’re building will support the entire ecosystem of travel technology (we already have over a thousand companies signed up).
Anyone travelling anywhere will interact with products powered by Impala and to achieve this we’re growing the team to 50 people within the next year.
What Will I Be Doing?
Brace yourself for some bullet points:
- You’ll initially work across our agile teams as a frontend engineering resource before becoming a dedicated member of one of the teams.
- You’ll add features to our existing UIs and also create new UI products that allow our technology partners and their hotels to better manage their applications and data.
- You’ll improve the security features across all of our frontend products.
- You’ll add functionality to our internal tools that allows our support team to better service customers.
- You’ll analyze and optimise (be that UX, performance, security) new and existing features to continually improve our products.
What Sort of Person Are You Looking For?
- Someone with significant React experience and good knowledge of JS fundamentals
- Someone comfortable working closely with product owners, designers, UX experts and the ability to translate their designs/requirements into maintainable, componentised UIs.
- Someone that is extremely collaborative, Impala’s engineering team is not political, everyone has great ideas and should be open to input. We have no space for brilliant jerks.
- Someone who is passionate about customer experience and building high quality maintainable software that looks and works fantastically.
Where Will I Work?
This is a remote position (all of our engineering team and some of our other staff members are distributed). This means you can work from anywhere +/- 2 Hours of London, timezone wise (and less than a 3 hour flight). As part of that:
- We offer an office stipend (you can furnish a home office or choose a coworking space near you).
- We give you an additional significant start-up equipment budget for things like monitors, keyboards, headphones etc.
- You’ll travel once a quarter to meet the rest of the engineering team somewhere in Europe.
- You’ll have a budget to travel to team socials if you’d like to meet everyone in person more frequently.
Please note, we only accept candidates in Western Europe because of timezone and travel time differences. We make no exceptions (we don’t have time to!).
What Do You Offer In Return?
As a member of the Impala team, you’ll have access to:
- Working with some of the best and brightest minds in their field, helping you to achieve the best that you can.
- A culture that celebrates success, reliability and building a great community.
- A top of market salary. If you’re truly great, we’ll pay what we need to.
- Equity in an honest-to-god-could-buy-a-yacht-later company. Travel is a huge industry and infrastructure is a huge part of that.
- A minimum of 36 days paid holiday per year. Unlimited holiday means you never take it, we just decided to give you a lot.
- A professional development budget. That we make sure you spend with frequent PD sessions.
- Generous maternity and paternity leave.
- Health and wellbeing scheme. Including access to Headscape, Meditation/Stress management, Massage Lottery, Health Food Voucher etc.
- A bunch of great benefits, like private health insurance, cheaper gym membership, cycle-to-work scheme, an everlasting friendship with the author of this post, annual “un-sick” day and many more.
More About Impala
If you’re really, really, really, really excited to learn more then please check out our Medium page which includes more information about who we are, what we do and our culture.
For more information on what it’s like working here, check out our Glassdoor page.
You can also check out getimpala.com for more information about what we’re doing.