Senior Support Engineer at Gatsby
Help customers succeed using Gatsby beyond their wildest dreams. Join us in our mission to make website development fun by making it simple.
You may know Gatsby, a wildly popular open-source project that has nearly 50k GitHub stars and a thriving community of more than 3,000 contributors. Beyond open source, we’re also a newly commercializing business, one that helps professional developers build blazing-fast apps and websites without needing to become a performance expert.
As a remote-first, community-focused team, Gatsby’s core values include:
- Prioritize the customer
- Expect excellence, have empathy
- Take ownership
- Grow through inclusivity
- Collaborate by default
Details of the role
- Type of Work: Full-time
- Location: Americas
- Engineering Level: Senior (L4) (see our Engineering Levels Guide)
Why we’re hiring
Our user base is growing, and we need help to make sure we can continue to provide an excellent customer experience for everyone who uses Gatsby and Gatsby Cloud.
Why this is interesting
Our Customer Success team works closely with every team at Gatsby. Seamlessly blending between the different and varied personas of engineering, executives, and product (to name a few!) is challenging, but rewarding. You’ll need to grow these relationships and build up your own subject matter expertise to meet and exceed the needs of each of these different groups.
In this role, your strong technical and written/verbal communication skills will be instrumental to our success as we grow the customer base at Gatsby and ensure our customers’ needs are not only being met, but blown away by the experience of using Gatsby’s products.
What you’ll do on a day-to-day basis
Depending on the day, you’ll:
- Ensure users wildly succeed on their journey with Gatsby.We have a growing and diverse mix of customers’ skill sets. You’ll directly work with these customers, and potential customers, to unblock them from using Gatsby, resolve issues, and categorize issues as open-source, Gatsby Cloud, or user error and use this direct feedback to drive direct improvements in Gatsby.
- Drive monumental growth in our user base. Leveraging your mastery of communication, you’ll work directly with potential customers to make the benefits of Gatsby clear, obvious, and apparent. You’ll lead with kindness and empathy and guide customers on their transition into using Gatsby and our Cloud products through workshops, written communication, video calls, and more.
- Work with engineers shaping the direction of the web. You’ll work with some of the sharpest, multi-talented engineers on the planet. You’ll learn, help others learn, and thrive in an environment where we’re all working together towards this common goal of making Gatsby the way to build for the web.
- Deliver lightning-quick pull requests from customer feedback. As an engineer, you’ll need to first pinpoint the root cause of issues. Whenever possible, if these issues can be fixed quickly, fix them and eliminate a whole type of issue for our customers whether they’re code, documentation, or some combination of both!
- Turn the reactive proactive. You’ll build and enable automations that identify issues and proactively alert customers of potential issues before a support request is even issued.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. You’ll clearly and concisely communicate via Google Docs, Github, Slack, and Zoom to name a few.
- Debugging code. Bugs should frustrate you. When you see a customer struggling with using Gatsby, that’s your bat signal to improve that experience and get to the crux of the issue and unblock the customer.
- Ready and willing to ask and answer questions. You’re comfortable saying you’re unsure, asking for help, and reaching out to assist others. You thrive and Gatsby thrives because of continuous learning.
- Ability to dive into complex problems. You should be able to quickly assess, understand, and assess where and how bugs arise in customer code.
- You’ve had direct customer experience. You may have had a direct line of communication with customers, and with this direct line, drove improvements and helped customers succeed in using your product. You may have experience using a tool like Intercom, Zendesk, etc.
Nice to have, but not necessary
- Led a workshop or training. You enjoy empowering others by teaching them what you know to help them achieve their goals.
The best parts of this job
- Delighting our customers. You’ll have a direct pulse on the growing Gatsby Cloud customer base. You’ll leverage this direct connection to surface meaningful, rewarding improvements to the customer experience of using Gatsby.
- Make Gatsby the way to build for the web. By representing the voice of our customer, you’ll help shape the future of Gatsby and the web–a technology that enables the next billion internet users.
- Hard problems? Oh yeah, we got ‘em. You’ll be solving incredibly difficult technical challenges every day. Put on your thinking cap and prepare yourself for hard, yet fun and rewarding technical challenges.
- Live and breathe on the cutting edge. You’ll be at the cutting edge of website development — working on the fastest-growing site building frameworks on the market, digging into the Gatsby’s innovatively architected codebase and build system, using modern tools such as Node, React, and GraphQL.
- Grow and learn from a vibrant, eager, and engaged community. You’ll be part of an active, open, friendly community of developers who are really excited about building high-performance, fun-to-use websites.
The worst parts of this job
- Long-running, in-progress work without a clear end. It can be challenging to have lots of in-progress work without having the immediate gratification of shipping. You will need to grow comfortability in managing lots of in-progress work alongside day-to-day responsibilities.
- Delivering difficult news. On the team, we empathize deeply with our customers. It’s what makes delivering those moments of delight so delightful. At the same time, we sometimes have to convey difficult news that something isn’t possible or supported at this time, and it can be challenging to disappoint our eager, loyal, and thriving customer base.
- Wearing many hats is challenging. To be most impactful, you’ll need to be able to context switch between working with many different areas of our code and customers’ code. There’s a large learning curve to both of these areas, and one of the most difficult parts of the job is growing the context and experience necessary to classify issues as Core, Cloud, user, or something in between!
- Multiple stakeholders with different backgrounds. Working directly with different (non-engineering) teams, leadership, and engineering means you have to be a master of communication and understanding what makes different folks tick. You need to be a chameleon of communication, adapting at every step to ensure different groups are aligned and always have the info they need to succeed.
Benefits and perks
- Unlimited vacation policy, with a minimum of 15 days paid vacation time
- Amazing health, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family (US only)
- 3 months of paid parental leave covering both adoption and foster placement
- Stock options in a fast-growing startup
- We’re remote first, so skip the commute
- Set up costs for a home office OR co-working/private office reimbursement
- New laptop of your choice
- Wifi and cell phone reimbursement
- Fly to cool locations 3x/year for company-wide meetups (once it’s safe again!)
Equal opportunity statement
Gatsby is an equal opportunity employer and we acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals. We commit ourselves to creating and maintaining an environment that respects diverse heritages and experiences, and seek applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to race, color, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, physical abilities (or disability), age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Gatsby does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes, and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Gatsby.