Staff Front End Engineer at Zapier
Hi there! We’re looking for a Staff Front-end Engineer to join the Zapier Labs team, our newly formed R&D department. We created Zapier Labs to focus on innovation and building new products and services with a broad scope around our mission to democratize automation.
As part of this small and scrappy team, you will focus on developing, implementing and designing user interfaces and front-end web experiences for greenfield products or features. You’ll leverage your expertise of front-end frameworks and engineering to rapidly iterate solutions. Ultimately, you’ll be responsible for shaping and creating new products that can be loved by over 5 million professionals who already use Zapier to automate their work.
Interested? Then read on…
We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you’ll take the leap of faith and apply.
- Our Commitment to Applicants
- Culture and Values at Zapier
- Zapier Guide to Remote Work
- Zapier Code of Conduct
- Diversity and Inclusivity at Zapier
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Even though our job description may seem like we’re looking for a specific candidate, the role inevitably ends up tailored to the person who applies and joins. Regardless of how well you feel you fit our description, we encourage you to apply if you meet these criteria:
You’re a seasoned engineer and front-end expert. You have more than 10 years of experience in software development, with at least 5 years focused on front-end development, and 3+ as a technical lead. You understand how to leverage strengths of the framework, and when to make tradeoffs.
You’re an engineer with an eye on design. You primarily work in front-end technologies, implementing designs and user experiences, but you don’t shy away from injecting your own design philosophy to your work, using an existing design system, or even designing the whole thing yourself if you need to. You focus on fast iteration towards a simpler and better to use product.
You’re a skilled product creator. You have seen the life cycle of new products from 0 to 1 and played an active and key role in shaping the product that shipped. You excel in rapid prototyping, gathering feedback and research, and failing fast.You are decisive and know when to stop or pivot a project when things aren’t working.
You get stuff done. In Labs, we believe small self-guided teams move quickly and wear multiple hats. This is important when creating new things. As a Front-end Engineer, you’ll likely be partnered with one other product engineer. Between you and your partner, you’ll do everything from shaping direction, talking to users, prototyping, building, testing, and iterating to get early product/market fit on the things you build.
You’re an excellent written communicator. We’re a 100% remote team. Writing is our primary means of communication at Zapier. You have strong written communication with the ability to clearly and concisely convey ideas and information.
Things You’ll Do
- Design & implement product interfaces and experiences for non-technical users.
- Prototype new products (either using design prototyping tools or code).
- Talk to users, do customer development, and test things on a weekly basis.
- Help shape and define the products that Labs is building.
- Partner with a product engineer in Labs to build new products.
- Share progress and evangelize work within Labs and across Zapier.
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
For the past seven years, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have a big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Remote in the United States or Canada
Our team of 350+ is distributed (remote) because it lets us work with the best people. We have team members that live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! While we can hire many roles in locations anywhere in the world, some require specific timezone fits.
- Competitive salary (we don’t use remote as an excuse to pay less)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We’ll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn’t a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you’ll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to UK, Canada, and US-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don’t seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We’re excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.